Tuesday, October 14, 2008

72% Of P2P Pirates Would Stop With ISP Warning

Team Member - J. Gorman
According to a news story I found via Google News search - Following a study by the Entertainment Research Group, 72% of P2P pirates would stop pirating content if their ISP's (internet service provider's) sent them cease and desist letters.

In addition to the cease and desist letters, apparently AT&T will be employing filters soon to block illegal content from being shared, however as the author of the article stated, this filtering can be extremely costly and usually can be worked around by people who know what they are doing.

In my opinion if ISP's begin to block content on P2P networks people will find other ways, whether they resort back to IRC chat to share music, movies, etc. or other avenues. The sharing of music, movies, etc. has been going on since the internet came online, it's just that P2P networks have made it easier for people to share with others.

This brings me to ask the question of whether I would stop using P2P networks if I received a cease and desist letter from my ISP. I can honestly say I'd probably fall into that 70% that would, because most items shared on P2P networks illegally you can find other places.

Would you stop using P2P networks if your ISP sent you a C&D letter? Please leave your comments.

Click here for original story

No comments: